Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Goose and Maverick: Two Tutorials

Monday I posted about an amazing baby shower I was privileged to be a part of. Today, I want to share the gifts I made as well as the tutorials.

Handmade snugglers, screen printed aviator onesies, trapper hats from Old Navy


I have said it once, I will say it a million times again. I love Pinterest. There are so many tutorials and crafty experiments to try. Sometimes they work…sometimes they do not. Here are two tutorials that I am super pleased with.

1.  Easy Peasy DIY Screen Printing


 I started this project expecting the worst and hoping for the best. It really seemed too cheap and easy to be true. I had most of the materials on hand and did not have much to lose so I gave it a shot and was really pleased with the end product

Materials:

  • Mod Podge
  • Nylon (I picked up some super cheap $0.33 stockings)
  • Embroidery Hoop
  • Fabric Paint (I used screen printing ink, if you do the same do NOT forget to heat set it!)
  • Shirt or Onesie to screen print
  • Cardboard to apply & Remove ink

Before printing on the new onesies I did a trial run on an old piece of fabric just to make sure I did not have any mistakes in my design or leaky spots in the Mod Podge. After that I did a second layer of Mod Podge touching up a few little leaks then printed on the onesies (do NOT forget to place something in between the shirt layers to protect the back). The lines were not SUPER clean like a true screen print but I think they turned out really nice. 

I have used this "screen" four times - rinsing the ink off in warm water and hanging to dry between use - and it is still holding up really well. I know it is not meant to last for long but you can get a few uses out of it if needed :)


2. Snuggler Pattern by Lotta Jansdotter


Oh. My. Goodness. I am absolutely in LOVE with this pattern. I will be using it over and over. This pattern is SUPER easy definitely something a novice sewer will feel comfortable with. The hardest part was cutting and taping the actual pattern together (more tedious than difficult).

Materials:
  • FREE printable Lotta Jansdotter Pattern from Make: CRAFT
  • Scissors
  • Pins
  • Fabric pen/chalk
  • ½ yard of Velcro (18”)
  • Iron
  • Thread
  • Hand sewing needle
  • 1 yard exterior fabric:  medium weight cotton 
  • 1 yard interior fabric:  soft fabric (I used flannel)



I think these look really nice with any big bold print ( If you are using a stripe/chevron you might have to do a little math to line the stripes up from front to back if you are a stickler for that kind of thing).  I went with Riley Blake Large Chevron in orange and aqua. The original pattern calls for a micro fleece but  I went with 100% cotton flannel. I like that it is natural and much easier to use when sewing it will also be a little lighter for the warmer months. Fleece and snuggle fabrics tend to stretch and move so they do require a lot of pinning. 

I think Momma was happy with these items and hope the baby boys are just as pleased! 

Are there any tutorials that you have found on Pinterest or a blog that you would recommend?

No comments:

Post a Comment